Saturday, December 12, 2009

That's no sergeant, that's a scammer

Do you ever get messages like this? You can be assured that no stranger is writing to you, out of the blue, to cut you in on a huge fortune. It's just not going to happen.

I have no idea who really sent this message, but you may be assured that it wasn't a U.S. soldier who found $21 million in Iraq. It's a scammer who is going to use this as bait to lure you in... and then get money or bank-account access from you. Links to random BBC news stories do not make the scammer any more legitimate -- anyone can link to a news story.

Don't be fooled, don't respond to messages like this, even if you feel bad that the fellow's uncle is "late."

From: SGT ANTHONY ORTON info@military.com.org
Date: 2009/12/10
Subject: FROM UNITED STATES SOLDIER

Attention:

How is everything going, I hope great? Though i have not considered this medium to be the best manner to have approached you on this issue being that the internet has been greatly abused over the recent years and is very unsecured for informations of vital importance.

I have decided to take the chance seeing that no other means could have been faster and more efficient than the e-mail. I write to you irrespective of the fact you do not know me, but please do consider this letter as a request from a brother in dire need of assistance.

My name is Anthony Orton (Sgt) an American soldier,I am serving in the military of the 1st Armored Division here in Iraq. As you know we are being attacked by insurgents everyday and car bombs, it will come worst now Saddam Hussein was executed.

During one of our rescue Mission we came across a safe that contains the total sum of $21,000,000 (Twenty One Million Us Dollars) that belongs to the revolutionaries, which I believe they use in buying weapons and ammunitions, and it was agreed by all party present that the money will be shared amongst us.

You can go to this web link to read about events that took place here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/2988455.stm

Out of the total fund my share was $8,000,000 (Eight Million Us Dollars). I am seeking your assistance to evacuate my share of the money, which is $8,000,000 out of here to you, in as much as you can assure me that my own share will be safe in your care until I complete my service here.

This is no stolen money and there are no dangers involved,as I have from you the Bank where the fund was deposited will contact you for the transafer. why i needed your assistance is becuase my uncle who was a contractor that had the abulity to handle this kind of fund is late.

I shall be compensating you with US$2,500,000 (Two Million, Five Hundred Thousand Dollars) on final conclusion of this project, while the rest shall be for me for my investment purposes.

One passionate appeal I will make to you is not to discuss this matter with a third party, should you have reasons to reject this offer, please destroy this e-mail as any leakage of this information will be too bad for me. I do not know for how long we will remain here, and I have survived two suicide bomb attacks, which prompted me to reach out for help because I will be migrating to you to invest and start a new life not as a soldier anymore.

Please if this proposal is acceptable by you, kindly send me an email signifying your interest including your most confidential telephone numbers for quick communication also your home address.

As soon as I receive your e-mail with the information,I will furnish you with full details on when and how the fund shall be deliever to you either by Bank transfer or Bank diplomat and he will make a contact with you before any move.

Waiting for your urgent reply.
Best Regards,
Sgt. Anthony Orton

No comments:

Post a Comment